So you don’t think you are a power negotiator and are not confident going into battle with a salesperson.
The art of negotiation may not be for everybody, but by mastering the basics you could save yourself big bucks when purchasing larger household items, cars, and of course in the home market.
Here are what we consider to be the ten keys to negotiating
- Do your homework. Be prepared by knowing the prices of the items you want (or equivalents) elsewhere.
- Take your time.
- The most powerful tool in negotiation is the ability to say no. Be prepared to walk away.
- Never agree to an outcome you feel pressured into.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions if you are unsure.
- If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Always read the fine print.
- Never sign anything straight away.
- Be polite and smile. A smile will get your further than an aggressive outburst.
- Usually a kitten rather than a tiger? Think about what is being nice is costing you. Are you willing to pay that price just to avoid a couple of minutes discomfort negotiating a better deal?
- Still not confident in your abilities? Have someone negotiate on your behalf.
And remember, negotiation is a two way process – you don’t get a bad deal unless you agree to it.